Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Celebrating 10 years with friends

10 years ago on August 12, my good friend Matt, from Sheboygan, married his fiance April. I stood up in the wedding which took place in Amery, WI. At the time I was living in Colorado. At the same time this was at least the 3rd or 4th wedding of a friend without a date for me or even any prospects. So I was prepared to have a good time and not worry about men. I was a bridesmaid in this wedding and although I am good friends with the groom, he is older than me, and I did not know many of his college friends. I had met the bride a few times. So I asked one of the other bridesmaids who went to college with April at Madison to introduce me to some of her friends. And this is where I met Ethan. We danced, talked, and exchanged emails. I had a feeling when I left the wedding that I had met someone very special. Special enough to move back to WI for 5 months later. And the rest is married almost 7 years with 2 beautiful daughters. In the meantime our friends, Matt and April, moved to Washington for work and have been living there since after their wedding, I believe. To celebrate their 10 year anniversary and because they were back in WI for vacation they held an afternoon cookout in the Madison area. It was a chance to see them after 7 years (we stopped in WA and saw them on our honeymoon) and meet their children, Helen and Theodore. We had a great afternoon with food, catching up, splash pad for the kids, and then taking in Bucky Badger and the WI football team at Family Fun Day at Camp Randall. It was great to see Matt & April. And amazing it has been 10 years since their wedding day. This day is always very meaningful to me because I still can't believe I met someone at their wedding (who by the way knew the bride and not the groom). :-)
The 8 friends and their 8 kids with one on the way plus April's younger sister.
Us with Matt & April and kids
Matt and I, 10 years later

1 comment:

Matt said...

It was great catching up with you guys and meeting your kids. We should plan to do it more than once every 7 years. I think we do need to run a half marathon together.

One of my vivid memories from our wedding day/night, was looking behind me in my parent's Expedition as my mom was taking us from the reception to the hotel at the end of the night and seeing you sitting on Ethan's lap. I raised an eyebrow for a second and then didn't think too much more of it until I heard that I should have thought more of it. (And I did "know" Ethan, but, yes, it's not like we hung out or anything. )